With thoughts of chill and snow vanishing in the distance, our minds turn to warm weather and what the outdoors have to offer in springtime. As such, the season makes for the perfect time to spruce up the yard. Below find our list of great local places for you to pick up anything your yard might need. New to gardening? Check out our list of 10 Easy Plants to Increase Your Curb Appeal.
- Russell’s Garden Center, Wayland: Established in 1876, Russells’ unique offerings and history set them apart from many of their competitors. What began as a modest farm market and soon after a wholesale vegetable and flower delivery business has become one of New England’s largest garden centers today. Their extensive stock includes all sorts of shrubs, flowers, trees, garden supplies, gifts, toys, indoor houseplants, and much, much more. The center also hosts Farmer’s Markets in both Summer and Winter that feature a bounty of local vendors. Some of the items purchasable include fresh meat and fish, locally made pasta, eggs, bread, sorbet, roasted nuts, and more. Russell’s Garden Center is open from 9am - 5:30pm every day nearly year round. For more information on their products or events, visit their website.
- Volante Farms, Needham: This local establishment is rich in selection as well as history. The family’s original farm was located in Newton, but moved to Needham in 1962 and has been growing ever since. Visit this hub of freshness to find farm grown fruits, vegetables, and plants as well as a smattering of local craft beers and wine, bakery goods, meats, prepared foods, and much more. The over 16,000 square foot greenhouse is home to a bounty of crops, annuals, and perennials for a beginning gardener or a veteran. On site is also a great place to grab a freshly made deli sandwich or even a couple scoops of Crescent Ridge Ice Cream. For hours, news, and more information about Volante Farms, visit their website.
- Mahoney’s Garden Center, Winchester: Paul Mahoney opened the first Mahoney’s Garden Center in Winchester, MA in 1959. Since then, this family run home and garden center has grown to include 8 retail locations in Winchester, Tewksbury, Wayland, Concord, Brighton, Falmouth, Osterville, and Chelmsford. Whether you’re a home gardener or landscaping professional, their top quality plants grown locally each season are sure to please and satisfy any need. Mahoney’s also offers comprehensive lawn care programs and plant healthcare services ranging from organic deeproot fertilization and insect control to deer protection and oil sprays for hemlocks. Think you’ll be a frequent visitor? Enroll in the Mahoney’s Rewards Program to earn points, exclusive sales, members only gardening tips, and more. The main location in Winchester also is home to the company’s farmstand, serving up fresh pot pies, brownies, cookies, jams, maple syrup, biscuits, and more from local farms. For more information on Mahoney’s, visit their website.
- Allandale Farm, Chestnut Hill: Nestled just 7 miles from downtown Boston on the border of Jamaica Plain sits Allandale Farm. This 130 acre land of hills, woodland, and farm fields is home to a variety of vegetables, fruits, and flowers. The expansive center offers seasonal selections of annual and perennial plants, trees, shrubs, fruit, and vegetable starts and supplies for the home gardener. The Allandale Farm is deeply committed to the health and wellbeing of not only their own farm but how that contributes to the greater populus. Through rotating crops, using green products, and organic farming practices, they effectively maintain an affluent land while never using harmful chemicals. Whether you’re looking for bulbs, seeds, soil, or woody plants, they are more than happy to help at Allandale. Their farmstand is also a great resource for locally grown fruits and vegetables as well as a selection of dairy, pastas, breads, pies, coffees, and much more from local vendors. For more information on hours and events, visit their website.
- Ward’s Berry Farm, Sharon: Ward’s Berry Farm has been offering locals a plethora of quality produce and goods since brothers Jim and Bob Ward began running the farm in 1982. Their mother, Ann, uses family favorite recipes to bring fresh cookies, muffins, bread, and pies to the farm store shelves. 175 acres houses a variety of vegetables and small fruits to supply the people of Sharon and some great restaurants nearby. Ward’s also offers Pick Your Own opportunities for strawberries, blueberries, and pumpkins during varying times throughout the year. Most importantly, their greenhouse makes for the perfect growing environment for bedding plants, hanging baskets, and perennials for any garden. For more information on hours, events, and crops, visit their website.
- Wilson Farm, Lexington: Since 1884 the Wilson family has been working tirelessly to bring quality crops to local consumers. The family opened the retail farm stand in the 1950’s. Today, the Wilson Farm has expanded to 33 acres in Lexington with an additional 500 acres in Litchfield, New Hampshire. In the fields, the land is cultivated using careful soil enrichment, pest prevention, and non-chemical controls. The full service garden center and open air nursery is staffed by professionals with a combined over 100 years of experience, offering all types of plants as well as holiday decorating materials, candles, unique gifts, pots, soils, fertilizers, wild bird supplies, and pet foods. Wilson Farm also carries a variety of baked goods, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and more. If you sample something from their farmstand that you like, visit the website to see a variety of recipes. Visitors rave about the fresh floral arrangements available put together by the farm’s talented staff. For more information about the farm, events, or specials, please visit their website.
Did we leave out your favorite local farm? Give us a call and tell us about it!
Dwell360 is a residential real estate firm based in Newton, Massachusetts, servicing the cities and suburbs of metro Boston. We are focused on our customers and our experience in the residential real estate market is extensive. Search for homes in Massachusetts and then give us a call.